According to the National Institute of Mental Health, ADHD affects an estimated 11% of children and 4% of adults in America. Prescription medication is routinely used to help treat this condition after a full evaluation from a health care provider.
Adderall is one of the most commonly prescribed medications for ADHD. However, it can be expensive without insurance coverage. The good news is that there are ways to significantly lower your costs through prescription discount programs and coupons.
This guide will cover everything you need to know about getting affordable Adderall, including:
- What Adderall is and how it works
- Average costs with and without insurance
- Finding the cheapest pharmacies
- Using prescription discount cards
- Other money-saving tips
With the right prescription discount program, you can save hundreds of dollars per month on your Adderall costs.
What is Adderall?
Adderall is a stimulant medication that contains two amphetamine salts:
- Dextroamphetamine saccharate
- Amphetamine aspartate
It affects the parts of the brain and central nervous system that control hyperactivity and impulses. Adderall works by increasing the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine to improve focus and attention.
The FDA first approved Adderall in 1996. It is primarily used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Adderall may also be prescribed for narcolepsy to help control sleepiness and stay awake during the day.
Adderall comes in two forms:
- Adderall IR (immediate release): Starts working within 30 minutes and lasts 4-6 hours. Often taken 2-3 times per day.
- Adderall XR (extended release): Effects last up to 12 hours. Taken once daily, typically in the morning.
Generic versions of both types are available as amphetamine salt combos. The active ingredients are identical to those in the brand name Adderall.
Average Cost of Adderall Without Insurance
The cash price for Adderall varies depending on:
- Brand name vs. generic
- Pharmacy location
- Dosage strength
On average, the retail cost of Adderall ranges from:
- Brand name IR: $150-$300 for 30 tablets
- Generic IR: $50-$100 for 30 tablets
- Brand name XR: $300-$600 for 30 capsules
- Generic XR: $150-$300 for 30 capsules
The most common dosage strength of Adderall is 20 mg. Without insurance, 30 tablets of 20 mg of brand name Adderall IR generally cost $250-$300.
The generic 20 mg IR version ranges from $50-$100 for the same 30 tablet supply. This represents big savings, as generics can cost 70-80% less than brand names like Adderall.
Talk to your doctor about starting with a generic amphetamine salt combo to get the same effects at a lower cost if you don’t have prescription insurance.
Lowest Prices at National Retail Pharmacies
Drug prices can vary widely between pharmacies. Finding the pharmacy with the cheapest cash price for your Adderall prescription will help lower your costs.
National chains like Walmart, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Kroger offer discounted prescription programs. These provide low retail prices without the need for insurance.
You can compare Adderall prices at different pharmacies using tools like GoodRx and SingleCare. They will show you the lowest available cash prices in your area. This allows you to shop around for the biggest savings.
For example, a recent search for generic Adderall IR showed the following cash prices at major pharmacies:
- Walmart: $25
- Costco: $15
- CVS: $47
- Walgreens: $37
- Rite Aid: $42
In this case, Costco offered the cheapest price at 70% less than CVS for the same medication and quantity. Checking multiple pharmacies in your area can potentially save you hundreds of dollars per year.
Use Prescription Discount Cards
Another great way to save is by using a free prescription discount card or coupon when you fill out your Adderall prescription.
These cards provide discounted prices for thousands of brand name and generic medications. They can be used whether you have insurance or not.
Here are some of the top prescription discount programs:
- GoodRx – Provides coupons to over 70,000 pharmacies nationwide. Average savings of up to 80% off retail prices. It can be used with insurance if the discounted price is lower.
- SingleCare – Gives access to reduced prescription prices at major pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Walmart. Also offers mail order service.
- RxSaver – Works at over 65,000 pharmacies across the U.S. Provides typical savings of up to 80% on brand and generic drugs. Easy printable coupons and digital cards are available.
- WellRx – More than 60,000 participating pharmacies. Discount prices on over 1,500 popular prescription medications. Average savings of up to 80% off retail cash prices.
These cards and coupons offer similar savings in most cases. Compare options to find the lowest price at a pharmacy near you.
You can download their apps or printable discount cards for free. Enter the prescription details to instantly see prices. Then show your phone or card when you pick up your Adderall prescription to get the discounted rate.
Other Ways to Reduce Adderall Costs
Along with using pharmacy discount coupons, here are some other tips to lower your Adderall costs:
- Apply for patient assistance programs – Pharmaceutical companies and non-profits offer programs to provide free or low cost medications based on financial need.
- Use manufacturer coupons – Check the drug company website for available copay cards and other discounts to reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
- Buy in bulk – Check if you can get a 90-day supply of your prescription. The larger quantity will lower the monthly cost.
- Split higher strength pills – Ask your doctor if you can take two lower strength tablets instead of one higher strength pill to save money.
- Shop for best insurance price – Compare Medicare and marketplace health plan costs to find the most affordable coverage for your medications.
The Bottom Line
The key to reducing your costs is to always compare pharmacy prices using discount apps and coupons. With the right prescription discount program, you can expect to save an average of 30% to 80% off the retail cash price for brand name or generic Adderall.
Being proactive and exploring all of your options makes Adderall and other expensive medications more affordable, even without insurance. So don’t pay the full price! Take advantage of prescription discount cards and find the lowest pharmacy price to maximize your savings on Adderall.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a generic version of Adderall?
Yes, the generic version of Adderall is the amphetamine salt combo. It contains the same active ingredients as brand names Adderall IR and XR at a significantly lower price.
Does Adderall need prior authorization with insurance?
Some insurance plans may require prior authorization from your doctor before covering the brand name Adderall. This means extra paperwork, but generic amphetamine salt combos are usually approved without prior authorization.
How can I get Adderall prescribed online?
You can get a prescription for Adderall or other ADHD medications through telehealth platforms that provide online visits with licensed doctors. They will evaluate your symptoms and medical history before prescribing, if appropriate.
Are prescription discount cards free to use?
Yes, all the major prescription discount cards and apps, like GoodRx and SingleCare, are free to use. You simply sign up, enter your medication, and show the pharmacist your coupon when you pick up your prescription to receive the discounted price.
Can Adderall be mailed to me?
If you have a valid prescription, many pharmacies offer convenient home delivery options for medications like Adderall. Mail orders can also sometimes be more affordable. Check your prescription discount program for mail order availability.
In another related article, When Does Gap Insurance Not Pay Out? Understanding the Limitations